Discord started as a group-chatting platform where gamers can hang out with like-minded people. In June 2020, Discord expanded its horizons, welcoming users with interests in other activities. The rebranding led to a rise in the number of Discord users, which currently sits at over 200 million – a far cry from its 2017 count of 8.9 million users.
If you are a gamer, streaming on Discord is a great way to reach a wider audience. Even Ninja has a Discord account. Would you like to learn how to stream on Discord and improve your brand visibility? Below is everything you need to know.
How to Set Up Streaming on Discord
You can access Discord via its app for Android, Mac, Windows, and iOS devices, but you can only stream with the Windows version.
- Launch Discord for Windows, then pick the server you want to stream on. Remember, each server represents a different community. If you like, you can set up your own server and community, but you have to get people to join your community.
- After picking the server for your streaming, start running the game you want to stream. If Discord recognizes the game, hit the Go Live button beside your avatar and username.
- After hitting Go Live, you will see a menu. If Discord did not recognize your game, select Change from the menu. Choose your preferred voice channel for streaming your session, then click Go Live.
- Your stream should be live now. If it is, a preview of your streaming will show in a small window on the Discord screen. Place your cursor over the preview window and click the cog icon. The icon will take you to the Stream Settings menu, where you can adjust your stream’s frame rate and video quality.
- Note that free users can only stream at 60fps and 720p. If you want better video quality, like 1080p or higher, you have to pay $9.99 per month for Discord Nitro.
Adding a Game to Discord Go Live
The game you are trying to stream must provide access to the Go Live icon. If it doesn’t, you can add the game yourself by opening the Settings menu. Hit the cog icon on the bottom left of the screen, then choose Game Activity from the list on the left of the screen. Click the blue Add It option in front of “Not Seeing Your Game.”
Select your game from the provided list, then return to your server. When you click the Go Live button, the game should start streaming.
How to Watch a Discord Stream
If you want to watch someone else stream on Discord, place your mouse over the user’s name and click Join Stream. To know when a user is streaming, check the voice channel for a red Live icon next to the user’s name.
Follow these simple steps to start streaming on Discord. If you stream on Twitch or YouTube, you can sync your accounts with your Discord account, allowing you to stay connected with all your subscribers from the other platforms and grow your Discord community.