Twitch is one of the most user-friendly platforms for live streaming gaming. Plus, compared to most other platforms, it pays streamers well. The new Xbox Series X came out November 2020 and gamers are looking to streamers to show them gameplay and walkthroughs of new releases like Cyberpunk 2077. The situation creates the perfect opportunity for you to gain new fans and subscribers.
To help you prepare, we have put together everything you need to know about how to stream Xbox Series X to Twitch. Let’s start by checking out Xbox Series X streaming features and what you will need to live stream your gaming.
Live Streaming with Xbox Series X
The Xbox Series X’s design enables it to render 4K games and deliver 60 frames-per-second (fps) while streaming. That’s far more than previous Xbox consoles could provide.
Before you can begin streaming your Xbox Series X games to Twitch, you will need the following:
- Any Xbox Series X console
- High-speed internet
- Lightstream broadcasting software
- A Twitch account
For glitch-free streaming, we recommend having internet speeds of at least 3 to 3.5 Mbps. That level of internet quality will let you live stream high-resolution HD videos, which is what most viewers want. If your internet is around 1.5 to 2 Mbps, you can still stream, but it will be the lowest quality HD resolution.
Creating a Twitch Account
If you don’t already have a Twitch account, you can create one on the Twitch website or app. The app is available for Android or iOS devices, and you can use it to monitor your account, adjust your stream settings, and more.
After opening an account, customize your Twitch channel so viewers can tell you apart from other streamers. Use a display picture, username, and bio that best represents your brand.
If you want to take things a step further, log in to your account via the Twitch website and set up your Moderation and Safety settings. Skipping this step may lead to trouble managing your subscribers, viewers, and commenters as your followers grow.
How to Stream
So how do you stream Xbox Series X to Twitch? There are two ways: You can use Lightstream or the Twitch App.
How to Stream Xbox Series X with Lightstream
The new Xbox supports all the Xbox apps you know and love, including Lightstream. Lightstream is a cloud-based software that offers streaming tools for broadcasting live gaming on Twitch and other various platforms. Note that Lightstream has free and paid plans, and the cheapest paid plan is about $8 per month.
If you choose to stream from your Xbox Series X with Lightstream, here’s how to do it:
- Visit twitch.golightstream.com.
- Let Lightstream access your Twitch account.
- Set your DNS server to 184.108.40.206 and leave the other server field blank.
- Customize your stream by setting your overlays, alerts, and more.
- Save your video quality preferences and other settings.
- When you are ready to stream, find the Twitch Share integration button on your Xbox screen and click it.
- Your game will start streaming to Lightstream, which will then send it to your Twitch channel.
How to Stream Xbox Series X with the Twitch App
If you want to cut out the middleman, you can stream to Twitch directly from your Xbox Series X. It is free, but you will not have access to some graphics, alerts, and other features that Lightstream offers.
Here’s how to start streaming directly from your Xbox:
- Download Twitch on your Xbox Series X. You can find it on the online store in the top right corner of your Xbox’s home screen.
- Once you find the app on the store, press A on your controller to start the download.
- After the Twitch app has downloaded and installed, start the game you want to stream.
- Once the game starts running, hit the controller’s Xbox button, and find the Twitch app.
- On the Twitch app, navigate to Broadcast and hit A.
- Enter a name for the streaming session in the Enter Title bar, then hit Start Streaming.
- Go back to the game, and within a few seconds, your session will start streaming live.
- While streaming, your stream time and number of viewers will be at the bottom of your screen.
You are also able to stream to Facebook Gaming to expand your audience.
Can I stream only Xbox Series X games?
The Xbox Series X console is backward-compatible, so you can play many of your favorite games from older Xbox consoles and live stream them. It is a great way to get viewers who are hungry for nostalgia.
Is Twitch free?
With a free Twitch account, you can contribute to chats on most streams and follow channels. You can also live stream yourself playing.
Can I stream on the Xbox Series X without a capture card?
If you don’t have an Xbox compatible streaming software, you will have to play and record your game, put it on a capture card, and load it to a PC. From the PC, you can upload the game for streaming online.
Since Lightstream and Twitch are both compatible with every Xbox Series X console, you don’t have to buy a pricey capture card. However, if you are using the Twitch app directly on your Xbox, you will not have access to overlays, alerts, and other features. A cost-effective way to rectify this is using Lightstream to upload your stream to Twitch. You can also use third-party software to stream without a capture card.
Are PCs better for streaming?
Streaming with a PC has several advantages, such as the ability to manage chats, multiple screens, and more with greater ease. The Xbox Series X is cheaper than most gaming PCs and user-friendly. Unless you are a full-time streamer, you are better off sticking with the Xbox Series X for streaming.
Now you know everything there is to know about how to stream Xbox Series X to Twitch. The system’s backward compatibility will let you play and live stream some of your favorite games. If you are new to live streaming and want an easy and affordable way to start, the Xbox Series X is worth buying.